As John Piper reminds us in the following video, we should strive to love Jesus more than we love anything.
Sometimes, while living in the world, this can be a challenge. The passions of the world can distract us from having Jesus in our minds all the time and love for Him in our hearts 24/7. Faith comes from hearing (Romans 10:17), so maybe love (the most important of the three godly gifts mentioned by the apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 12:!3) can come the same way. Well, in this case, reading.
In this article, I’m going to list (in no particular order) 5 reasons why we should love Jesus Christ, The Son Of God.
- He is the only begotten Son of the Father, a person of the Trinity, and our Creator.
- He gave his life for us. Whichever theory of the atonement you believe, the fact of the matter is that Jesus gave His life for us, and this is a part of Christian dogma. Through belief in and acceptance of the death and resurrection of Jesus, us humans, in spite of all our sins and brokenness, can be reconciled to God, and thereby are offered salvation and the promise of eternal life.
- He came to preach The Gospel (The Good News) of The Kingdom Of God.
- He condescended Himself to be in our presence, revealed to us His Wisdom, forgave the sins of mankind and destroyed death.
- He has shown us more love and compassion than any human ever could. He will always love us, and will always want us to come back to Him. No one else has this kind of unconditional love.
There are numerous reasons why we should love Jesus Christ. I just wanted to share five of them in the hope that it might help any Christians who are struggling with keeping the love burning in their hearts at times. I invite you to share your own reasons and opinions in the comments section below.